Greater Baltimore Medical Center
"I Was Greeted Like Family"

Tiarra Clay's Story

Hi my name is Tiarra. I recently read a tribute to the staff at GBMC and wanted to also share my story.

I was only 16 years of age when I discovered I was pregnant with my first child, and I later found it was an abnormal pregnancy at the labor and delivery department of a local hospital. After being told an abortion would be the best option for me, I was given no support for the decision I made which was to continue with my pregnancy. I was referred to GBMC by my aunt for a second opinion.

Upon my arrival at GBMC, I was greeted as if they had already known me for years and showed much concern for my situation. Be advised – they only know what information my aunt has given. I was seen by Dr. Claire Weitz, who was nothing short of amazing. She made me feel so comfortable, and although I was in a scary situation, I never thought negatively because Dr. Weitz allowed me to feel there was hope. Just to give a more clear understanding of what I mean when I say scary, I was told that my firstborn child would be born an omphalocele – meaning its abdominal organs would be outside the body – and would not survive more than two hours outside of the womb. I was also told I would have to have surgery that could prevent me from ever having more kids.

Okay, now I'm receiving the best care, and I'm okay with my decision to carry on with the pregnancy. I was seen twice a week by Dr. Weitz who felt more like family than just my doctor. I later gave birth via C-section to a three pound, 15 ounce baby girl named Terri. Although the staff was prepared and also had a pediatric surgeon on stand-by they felt it would be in the best interest of the child to have her transported to John Hopkins Hospital where she could be seen by a team of surgeons. Two days later, I spoke with Dr. Weitz who gave me the best advice, not as a child myself but as mother. I was transported to John Hopkins hospital so I could be with the baby. I made one of the hardest decisions of my life that day, but because of the advice and support from the staff at GBMC I managed to do so with ease. Terri was taken off life support after two days of surgery and later died in my arms.

Because of the care I received and a successful delivery at GBMC, I didn't walk away feeling guilty for any of the decisions that I had made. I want to thank the staff for allowing me to be a part of the decision making. I couldn't imagine giving birth anywhere else, and GBMC’s the reason I also gave birth to my now eight-year-old son at GBMC. Again, I received the most quality care.

Share Your GBMC Story